Monday, May 28, 2012

Bookmark and Share
5/26/12 I can’t express in words how truly grateful I am for today. We woke up early and Marquinho took us to a place most Xukuru people don’t even get to experience: the sacred Pedra do Rei (Rock of the King). There is an alter at the base of the rock marking where the Xukuru first began the fight to take back their land; on top of the rock (more like a mountain), is another sacred alter. Up here is where one goes to hear and receive the encantadas (the spirits). As Marquinho explained it to us, Pedra do Rei is not a place where one goes to pray, or to ask for or expect anything. It is a place to just go and be – with an open mind and an open heart. This is the only way one could truly experience the special things that take place there. From up here we had the most magnificent 360* view of all the Xukuru territory. We sat down quietly and just let nature take over and run her course; the feel of the wind on my face and in my hair is something I’ll never forget for as long as I live. I can’t describe the feeling of being there or all of the emotions that seem to surge through you at once because no words would be enough. Because of the language barrier, all I could give Marquinho was a simple “thank you,” though I believe he knows how much more than that I meant by my humble expression of gratitude. -Shayla

No comments:

Post a Comment

WDAZ TV Xukuru Research Synopsis