Sunday, June 10, 2012

Bookmark and Share
6/5/12 Today is our last day in the house and it is a very bittersweet day. On one hand, I can’t wait to get home. I miss all of the conveniences that I’m used to – my own bed, my car, Starbucks, people SPEAKING ENGLISH to me, I could go on and on. But on the other hand, I’m already so homesick for this house and the people here that I can barely swallow around the lump in my throat. During the last three weeks, I haven’t felt homesick at all; at least not for the people in my life, just for a few of the things I just mentioned. But the pain of leaving here is indescribable. I know I’ll see this family and the Xukuru people again one day, but when? I don’t know what it is about here that I’ll miss the most. Marcos Paulo and Yuri Mateus are definitely at the top of the list. Marcos Paulo is such a special person. He is the utter definition of a little boy: most of the time he’s super rambunctious, but he never forgets to be sweet either. He is constantly telling us that he likes our outfits or that we look pretty (always on his own, never asked for), and he always gives me the tightest hugs. And I think it’s pretty obvious that we all think Yuri Mateus is cuter than a puppy in a funny hat; when he is in the mood to be lovey, it’s the hardest thing to let him go! One of the biggest things I definitely will miss is riding around squeezed in the back of the cacique’s truck, listening to blaring music and laughing about being thrown around by the bad roads. There are so many fond memories that have been created here; now that it’s finally time to leave, they make me smile and tear up at the same time. I don’t know how things are going to be or what to expect once I get home; the world around me hasn’t changed, but in these last three weeks I have, and for the better. -Shayla

No comments:

Post a Comment

WDAZ TV Xukuru Research Synopsis